It is crazy to think that it’s already time to reflect on 2016 and make resolutions for 2017. Although, to be honest, I’ve never really made resolutions. Resolutions make me think of people ambitiously setting out to go to the gym and eat salad on January 1 and then retreating back to couch surfing and potato chips by February. Instead, I want use the last few days of 2016 to reflect on the past year, think about my hopes and dreams and set a few realistic, attainable goals for me, this blog and my impact on the world.
In a lot of ways, 2016 has felt like a two-part book that kept me guessing until the very last page. Part one: I played the part of college student, Division I runner, dancer, class president, long-term girlfriend and peanut butter addict. Then, I graduated and I was cast as a new character for part two: marketing coordinator, full-time running store employee, blogger, plant-based eater, single pringle, extreme cat lover and, OK I did remain a peanut butter addict. I always say that I never could have imagined how my life would turn out. And I’m sure I’ll say the same thing at the end of 2017.
However, one thing that I know will remain the same, besides that nut butter addiction, is my amazing support system. My friends and family have been there for me for all the amazing highs and crushing lows of this year and kept me smiling through it all. Thank you for being the first ones to read this blog and like my Instagrams, answering my hysterical 2 a.m. phone calls, putting up with my super long hugs, accepting my vegan food and celebrating every small victory with me. You guys know who you are and you are the real MVPs! Also, shout out to Frances for cuddling with me every single night. I did mention that I’m a crazy cat lady now, right?
Anyways, although I don’t know exactly where my path will take me in 2017, I am ready to challenge myself to reach some new goals. I drafted a few hopes for the next year, along with some actionable steps to back them up. I hope you’ll join me in developing reachable dreams for 2017 and planning the actions you can take to achieve them. Please share your own goals and peppy steps in the comments below so we can all support each other through the next year. Plus, if you type it out, you will end up holding yourself more accountable.
Goal: Focus on fulfilling my body’s needs to feel good every day.
This year has taught me that I need to run, eat fresh foods and take time to recover every day in order to feel my best.
1. Train to race three half marathons, with at least one in a new state.
2. Fuel my body with plants and whole foods and minimize processed foods in my diet.
3. Aim for at least seven hours of sleep per night.
4. Pamper myself once a week (paint my nails, get a haircut, use a face mask/scrub).
For Pep In Your Step
Goal: Inspire others to explore eating plants and exercising and incorporate both into their daily routine.
I love sharing my health and wellness journey with you all. It isn’t perfect but there are some beautiful moments along the way. This blog is something I do because I love it, but I hope it can help others along the way as well.
1. Write articles that offer easy exercise tips and simple ways to start eating/thinking more plant-based..
2. Use Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter daily to demonstrate the beauty in plant-based eating, the fun in exercise and the benefits to practicing overall wellness.
3. Collaborate and connect with like-minded bloggers to bring different types of content to the blog.
For My Footprint on the World
Goal: Align my behavior with my reason for eating plant-based.
The reason I started to eat more plant-based was for ethical and environmental reasons. I want the living creatures on this Earth to be treated fairly and to do my part to preserve nature and our resources. Thus, I want all my actions to reflect these beliefs, not just my eating patterns.
1. Keep reuseable shopping bags in my car for when I stop at the grocery store.
2. Bring a mug to work for when I make coffee and eliminate using a paper cup every day.
3. Regularly sell or donate clothes that I no longer wear and buy more clothes from second-hand shops.
What peppy steps can you take to reach your goals in 2017? Share with the group below!